Monday, November 11, 2013

PBM: Chapter 1: Arriving in New Phlan: Part 7

Making a TODO List

GM

You all walk the last two blocks to the barely-standing tower. It looks as though significant work has been done--the braces and scaffolding that are in place hold it roughly upright, and you can see several areas where new stone and mortar have reinforced the old--but it is weeks away from being stable, let alone habitable. Possibly months given how lazy the many workers and guards appear to be. Nearly a hundred workers stand around. By the looks of them, most have been recruited from the Slums locals, with even a few orcs and goblins in the mix. Most of them are just standing around, making no attempt to look productive. Some even appear to be napping. A few lazily shuffle bricks around or hammer nails into the scaffolding, but make little progress.

As you approach, you see one man--presumably the foreman judging from the schematics he is holding--jump up from where he had been lounging in a folding wooden chair. The man has long black mustachios, close-cropped hair, and is wearing a set of well-made banded male with a stylized yellow "Z" emblazoned on it. "You, Stop!" he says, drawing a broadsword and looking at the minotaur carrying a bloody, half-dead body. "Not a step closer..." A few workers turn dispassionately to look as he yells, and a small handful, maybe seven or eight, guards stand up and reach for spears, swords, and cudgels.

Gendry

Gendry stops just behind the gnome, and mutters under his breath to Donovan and Lyra. "Any idea what the Z is for?" He stands still, keeping his hands on the body, and thus visibly well away from his weapons. "Hey now, no need for the pointies. We're just here to see your boss..."

Lyra

Lyra steps forward, also indicating that she is unarmed.  "Is this the tower of Professor Aumry of Umber?  We are escorting his niece, Amara, at his request."

GM

The mustachioed man glares at you. "Master Aumry is not here, and even if he was, I don't know why he'd want his niece coming out to this place..." He pauses for a moment, as if considering before asking the obvious question. "What are you doing with that body?

Lyra

Lyra continues, despite his obvious skepticism.  "'He's a priest of Tyr, and we're in the middle of saving him from a small group of orcs, probably Xvim's followers. We managed to get him stabilized, but need to get him somewhere safer than the middle of the street.  And we were headed here to speak with Professor Aumry about the Melvaunt job anyway.  Do you know when he'll be back?  He told us to meet him here."

GM

The foreman's eyes go wide and he spins on his heel sharply, "BOSS IS COMING!" he shouts. The workers immediately animate and begin looking very busy. The foreman then turns back to you. "A Tyrran huh? You're better off just turning around and putting him right back where you found him. Xvim doesn't much like his kind, nor those who help them."

Donovan

Donovan speaks up, "I believe our good fellow here is correct, we should take the monk somewhere else." Then, under his breath to Gendry, "That 'Z' means Mr. foreman here is a Zhent, and apparently proud of it, and thus, most likely a Xvimlar himself..." He begins backing away.

Gendry

Gendry looks down at Amara, "Looks like your uncle isn't here yet." He looks back up the street. "Perhaps we can kill some time at the livery over there while we wait..."

GM

As you turn to head towards the livery, there is a loud popping sound, and Aumry appears next to the foreman. "Good afternoon, Captain. Have you made any progress today?" He looks disapprovingly around at the many laborers busily acting like they were busy, and makes a tsking sound. He turns directly towards the tower, makes several large sweeping gestures, and begins chanting:

Eruimus effodientes effodientes effodientes effodientes 
effodientes muniunt nostri per totum diem meum
Fodere effodientes effodientes effodientes effodientes 
effodientes effodientes est quod vere amo efficio
Nullum dolum est non ad divites vivos
Si fodiat rutrum vel cum foderit effodientes pick
In mea! In mea! In mea! In mea!
Ubi lucere diamonds million!

Eruimus effodientes effodientes effodientes effodientes 
effodientes effodientes a mane usque ad vesperam?
Eruimus effodientes effodientes effodientes effodientes 
effodientes effodere omnia in conspéctu
Eruimus ex adamantibus score
Mille carbunculorum interdum
Quam eruimus sed quia non potuimus propter
Eruimus effodientes foderunt-effodientes effodientes!

The entire leeward side of the tower rises a foot, jacking the tower slightly closer to a plumb vertical, and the cracked and crumbling stones around the base fuse and smooth over.

"There, I've made my contribution for the day. Was that so hard, Captain?"

Donovan

Donovan pivots on his heel and walks back. "Professor Aumry, we were just about to walk over to the livery next door to ask about renting a wagon and team to haul your component shipment. Would you care to accompany us so we can finish our business?" As they walk away from the tower he continues to speak. "I believe your foreman is failing to drive your workers sufficiently. When we arrived they, all of them, foreman included, were lying down on the job. Perhaps a problem with hiring Zhents. If you would like to replace him, I can recommend a number of competent local contractors..."

Gendry

Gendry nods his appreciation at the high-speed construction, then resumes walking when Aumry joins them. "It seems to me like you don't even need all those workers, Mr. Aumry. A couple of those spells a day and you'd be done, right?"

"Also, I think Shaddup here would like to offer his services installing some security measures in your new tower..."

GM

Aumry walks along beside you with a strange, wobbling gait, as if unused to moving under his own power, much like that of a sailor or someone who spends too much time in the saddle. "You are correct in your assessment, Mr. Minotaur, if my teaching duties were not as demanding of my resources, I could, indeed complete the tower largely on my. Unfortunately, I cannot always spare those couple of spells. Still, I do not expect much of the workers. I largely pay them just for show, to discourage less reputable vagrants or gangs from re-occupying the premises."

When you reach the livery he stops. "I have already arranged for your transport, Mr. Donovan. It will be ready and waiting for you here in the morning." He reaches into the folds of his robe and pulls out five small pouches, handing one to each of you. Then a pair of scroll cases, which he hands to Donovan. "Half in advance, as promised..."

Donovan

Donovan accepts his pouch and the scroll cases and immediately opens them up, "I hope you won't be offended if I count it here..."

He casts _read magic_ and continues to converse as he examines the scrolls, "Do you have any recent news about the condition of the road between here and Melvaunt, Professor?"

Lyra

Lyra accepts her pouch.  "The wagon teams might know as well, Mr. Donovan."

Donovan

Donovan cocks an eyebrow at Lyra, "Can you talk to horses and oxen?!"

Donovan reads off the list of spells to Lyra and Amara. "The first scroll has a wax seal that looks like an octopus and bears three spells: Adhesion, Hand of Tentacles, and Protection from Amorphs. The second scroll is also sealed in wax, the seal looking like a pair of crossed sticks, and also has three spells: Divining Rod, Decastave, and Staffspell. Would either of you like one of these?"

Lyra

Lyra thinks before she responds for far longer than the question would seem to warrant.  "No, probably not."

Amara

Amara looks at the scrolls blankly.  "Those look funny."  She whispers to her cat, who fades out slowly and then fades back in, like a slow motion flicker.  Amara hums a little ditty, and her eyes glow.  She looks over the first scroll and exclaims, "Eewy!"  She looks over the second and and says, "Boring...."  Then she holds up the first scroll, "I like this one better."

GM

"There are only the usual stories--kobold tribes getting uppity, lizard men raids, bandits. Nothing that the good men out at Iniarv's Tower can't keep a handle on." Aumry waves to the man tending the horses at the stable. When the man walks over, he continues. "Ernst, these are the men who will be picking up the wagon in the morning. Miss Lyra, if you need to hire a teamster to handle the wagon, talk to Ernst, he can direct you to appropriate parties, though any additional hires will be your responsibility. Good afternoon. I look forward to your successful return, but now I must return to my classes." He pivots on his heel and vanishes with another loud popping sound.

Lyra

Lyra stares into the empty space that Professor Aumry previously occupied, fingers splayed to try and feel the rush of air filling the previously occupied space.  Lyra looks resentfully over at the wagons.  "Getting one of those through a swamp is going to be slow going."

Donovan

"There is a paved road between here and Melvaunt. Better than the one we're on actually. We won't be able to wander much, but we should be fine going through the swamp as long as we stick to the road..." Donovan pauses in thought. "Of course, that means any raiders will know exactly where to look for us."

He looks back and forth between Ernst, and the rest of the party. "Professor Aumry made a good point. Do any of you know how to drive?"

Gendry

Gendry shakes his head. "I may look like a draft animal, but I don't know a thing about them. What about you, gnome, know anything about steering a prairie-schooner?"

GM

Ernst speaks up. "Pleased to meet you folks. Aumry has arranged for some pretty nice transportation for you guys--an eighteen-foot covered wagon, extra-wide wheels for muddy terrain, water-tight keel for stream crossings, and a pair of oxen, single-beam head-yoked for better downhill breaking." He sticks out his hand, as if expected a shake. "It shouldn't be too hard to manage, even for inexperienced drivers, but if you do want a good teamster, I'd suggest talking to Jack. Funny looking fellow, even by Slums standards, but," he looks hard at Gendry, "it don't seem like you guys have a problem with that. He'll do pretty much anything you ask him to and works cheap."

Gendry

"Ok, it sounds like most of the travel arrangements are dealt with, and we've got 10 platinum each and like sixteen hours to kill." Gendry snorts, then looks a bit embarrassed. "Our todo list right now includes; (a) Go buy some candles for Amara's grandmother, (b) find this Jack guy and see if he'll drive our wagon for us, (c) meet the sailor-dwarf at the Bitter Blade for a pint before calling it a night, and (d) drink several pints. So, what shall we do first?"

Amara

"Yes, yes, let's go shopping!"

Donovan

"Ernst, where can we find this Jack fellow?"

GM

"Jack has a small shop right by the old Rope Guild. It's about a block from the wall and about midway between the gates. Walk back down the road, hang a right at the old washer-woman's place, then go about two blocks. You might want to make sure you go during daylight hours though, as that street is Dogripper territory." Ernst looks around furtively, then adds. "Or you can go around back of the Livery and ask Huafk for a pass, but those aren't always cheap."

Lyra

"It sounds like we'd better head over there soon, then.  It sounds like a dangerous route.  Mr. Donovan, where would the best place be to buy provisions, weapons, clothes?"

Gendry

"OH!" Gendry realizes that he still has the near-corpse of the monk slung over his shoulder. He carefully sets the man down and casts _cure light wounds_ on him. "Sorry guys, I almost forgot we had this joker to deal with..."

GM

The monk coughs suddenly and opens his eyes. He then lets out a ear-piercing scream when he seems a minotaur looming over him.

Lyra

Lyra kneels down next to the monk.  "Sir, please calm down.  You've been injured by a group of orcs.  This gentleman has not only carried you to safety, but mended some of your wounds."

Donovan

Donovan quickly addresses Lyra's questions. "We can get provisions either from Jerome of Melvaunt here in the Slums or Cockburn's Grocery in the civilized section. For weapons the best quality are from Matteo's on the far side of the Slums Market, but he usually only does custom orders, so we're more likely to find what we need at 'Petroff's Fine Swords' next to the temple of Sune inside the wall. There weren't a lot of decent tailors in town last time I was here. Jerome's and Cockburn's usually carry basic clothing, or we might ask around either of the markets to see if someone new has set up shop as a clothiers."

Donovan then kneels down by the monk and tries to calm him. "It's okay, the minotaur is not going to hurt you. Master Gendry here just healed you, in fact. You were set upon by a group of gray-skinned orcs. We found you unconscious and bleeding. The orcs were dispatched and we brought you here to heal you." He gives his best, friendly, fatherly smile, and lays a hand on the man's shoulder. "Please calm down. You are in no danger now. Can you tell us what happened?"

Gendry

Gendry moves back, avoiding rising to his full height, and quickly turns his head to slip off his eye-mask, stuffing it back into his pouch. "I'm sorry sir, I know my appearance can be frightening..." He turns his back and walks over to see what Amara and Shaddup have gotten themselves up to, leaving further discussion to the bards.

GM

The man stops screaming and looks around at you all, his hands moving to confirm that he is whole and his gaze lingering overly long on Lyra. He takes a few deep breaths then tries to sit up, holding his grimacing noticeably--conscious and no longer bleeding, but clearly far from fully healed. "Um, thanks. Sorry for the screaming. I am in your debt, Master Gendry."

He takes a few more deep breaths before continuing. "I hope you weren't too harsh in your reprisal against the orcs. They were infected with ontontis, orcish leprosy. I volunteer at the soup kitchen by the market and they recognized me. They asked me to cure them and became rather emotional when I explained that removing a disease such as theirs was beyond my abili..." He falls into a coughing fit and clutches at his side harder. He coughs for over a minute, and wipes a trickle of blood from the corner of his mouth. "They must have hit an organ. I should have listened when Brother Francis insisted that I should always wear armor when outside the gates." He coughs again. "I recant my previous statement. If you killed them, justice was served, and they are likely glad to be free of their suffering."

He groans and lays back down. "You have already done much, but if you could do me one more favor, I will forever be in your debt. Might I ask your assistance in getting back to the temple in New Phlan? My brothers there should be able to tend to my other injuries."

Donovan

"We have a little girl who is very anxious to go buy a gift for her dying grandmother, and we need to hire a teamster for a trip we are making early in the morning, but given your state, I think we can take the time to get you to your temple." Donovan looks around at the others. "Agreed?"

"Amara," he lays a hand on her shoulder, "I'm afraid our shopping trip will have to wait."

"Gendry, can you carry him further? Or should we find something to use as a stretcher?"

Gendry

Gendry wanders back over. "Yes Donovan, I can carry him to the temple."

He kneel down. "What is your name sir?"

GM

The man looks Gendry in the eye, still looking a bit frightened. "I am Brother Rant Harmell of Tyr, Mr. Gendry, and you have my thanks."

Gendry

Gendry picks the man up and grins rather evilly. "Well, Brother Rant, I've heard much from you Tyrrans about honesty and repaying debts over the years, so I trust one of your order to fulfill a life-debt. I am Gendry FitzTeldar, son of Teldar the Pirate King, and under the watchful eye of the Lord of Intrigue, I expect to be repaid."

Gendry waves the others on. "I'll make sure the law-man makes it safely to his temple. You all go on ahead and get your shopping done. I'll meet you at the Bitter Blade at sundown."

GM

The man's face goes white and he struggles weakly as Gendry picks him up. "I've heard tell that a Maskaran can turn even the best of intentions to their advantage. I guess this is my second lesson for today." He continues as they walk away. "I would rather die than aid a criminal, but I am alive...thanks to a pirate. I will repay my debt, Mr. Gendry, but I will not violate my oath to Tyr to do so. A life is worth a life, so I must protect yours, but I cannot vouchsafe your continued freedom."

Gendry

Gendry walks towards the gates. "I'm sure you aid criminals every day at that soup kitchen of yours, Brother Rant. The poor and destitute always turn to the Shadowlord. While you might offer a meal, we offer them a way to better their situation in life. By the Shadowlord's grace, even the lowliest guttersnipe can live like a king." Gendry snorts. "You don't need to turn me in for anything, Brother. For now, at least, I am here to help this city of yours. A surprisingly enlightened city, I must say. The Council of Phlan has not only overlooked my appearance, but has given me amnesty for all of my past misdeeds. So, I have no intention of 'corrupting' you or making you break any of your vows, but my friends and I do need all the help we can get...and you should consider yourself drafted."

Donovan

Donovan watches Gendry walk off taunting the priest, then realizes, "Gendry wait! We're going the same way."

He turns and bows, "Thank you Ernst. We'll be by in the morning."

"Come on, Lyra, Shaddup, Amara. That Jack fellow is supposed to live in that direction. No need to split up the group quite yet." He runs after the minotaur.

Lyra

Lyra follows after them.  "Mr. Donovan, you also have the charter, if Mr. Gendry needs to get past the gates."

GM

Rant stares long and hard at Gendry, looking almost dumbstruck. "You are not at all what I would have expected, Mr. Gendry. You are correct, there is more to Tyr's justice than just upholding the law, and for now justice demands that I repay my debt to you and your friends." He stops for breath as Donovan and the others catch up. "As soon as I am able, if you wish it, I will accompany you on your adventures, or provide whatever other aid is appropriate."

You pick your way through the rubble and refuse and are not more than two blocks away from the stables when you hear crashing and clanging noises ahead. You then hear a deep, yet feminine, voice shouting, "Lípa úp orm! Horpa pyrur andann hunnar! Hlaupa! Hlaupa fyrur lípu pínu!"

Donovan

Donovan shakes his head. "Any chance you are a linguist, Brother?" Then draws his knife. "I'm fresh out of sleep spells, so lets hope that whatever it is is friendly, or at least that there aren't that many of them..."

Lyra

Lyra cocks her head, listening.  "Something like ... "Hark up worm! Harp <something> breath knob! Run! Run agile floor has a bit!".  Ok, so I'm definitely not a linguist, but that doesn't sound especially friendly to me."

Gendry

Gendry turns and smiles at Lyra, "You're translations are always fun at least." He kneels and sets down Brother Rant, then rises and draws his sword. "Shaddup, would you mind standing watch over our new friend while I go investigate?"

Shaddup

Shuddup snaps to after apparently daydreaming about life with a small child, shit job, and always being in the run.  He looks down at the priest, "Don't worry I'll protect you." With an easy grin. He hands the priest his arquebus, "I may need this if this crossbow doesn't function properly. "

Donovan

"Worm...breath...run? Sounds like someone found a dragon or something..." Donovan shakes his head. "I fucking hate these slums."

"Amara, stay with Shaddup and Mr. Rant. Gendry, Lyra, let's go...cautiously." As he walks slowly forward, Donovan casts _protection from evil_ on Lyra and _gauntlet_ on himself.

"Oh, and Amara, is there any chance that one of those secrets your kitten whispers to you could be a highly damaging one? You clearly have some formidable magic at your disposal, but I'm none too clear on the specifics. If you can muster some artillery, it would be very helpful right about now..."

GM

With a loud CRASH, a wall of a nearby building is blown open and the nine-foot frame of a ogrish woman is thrown out through the newly-created hole to slump against a pile of rubble in the street. A pair of men wearing matching chain armor and red cloaks then back out of the hole, shields raised before them towards something inside the building, moving to shield the ogress with their bodies against something inside.

Gendry

Gendry halts his advance, wondering what could throw an ogre through a wall. "Hey Don, are those the ass-watchers from the boat?"

He looks at the opening, gauging distance to it and line of sight out of it, then moves immediately adjacent to the wall of the building and moves up beside the gap, positioning himself to backstab whatever might come out. He gestures to the men trying to indicate his intent and that they should neither talk to, nor look at him.

Shaddup

Shuddup hands the crossbow to the Tyrian priest and begins dragging him to cover in nearby debris. He then begins scanning the nearby buildings for structural weaknesses in case he can bring one down on whatever is coming thorough the wall.

GM

The building that the lizard-thing is exiting from looks extremely old. The construction is largely brick, which appears to have been plastered over several times. Judging from the uneven roofline, it probably had a second story at some point in the distant past, but is now all one floor. The entire facade is crumbling and it looks as though the wall that the ogre just went flying through was load-bearing. Shaddup suspects that the application of significant force on the far side of the building could bring the remainder of the damaged wall tumbling out into the street in such a way as to be significantly damaging to all in the area. The surrounding buildings are all shanty's, built of twigs, straw, rubble, and canvas tarps. The kind of things that look like they would blow over in a stiff breeze.

Donovan

Donovan moves to the side of the road opposite Gendry and calls out in Auld Wyrmish--because hey, maybe it is a dragon and maybe it's willing to negotiate, "Ho Worm! Is that any way to treat a lady? Sure, she's a little horny, pun intended, but maybe we can talk about this..."

He holds his magically gauntleted hand up in front of his face in case whatever it is decides to breath fire or acid or the like at him. If nothing else, he hopes to keep the thing's attention focused on him and not on the minotaur getting ready to shove three feet of steel into it's backside.

GM

As Donovan begins to call out, you hear a scream and three more people come running around the side of the building, one, a woman in a slightly-askew white wig cradles her left arm, which looks like it has been badly burned or scarred by acid. You all quickly recognize one of the others as the green-haired elven woman from the ship. All three look badly beat-up.

At about the same time, a large reptilian head with four long horns appears out of the hole in the wall, followed by the body of what appears to be a huge, mottled-green lizard, maybe fifteen feet in length, most of that being tail. It looks directly at Donovan with what can only be described as murderous fury, and roars, droplets of spittle bubbling and hissing as they strike the cobbles...you suspect that the creature does not appreciate your sense of humor.

Donovan

"Acid spit but no wings? Hey, Lyra, you're an educated young girl, any idea what this thing is?"

Donovan tries to keep up a constant stream of patter in Auld Wyrmish, just in case it actually understood him, to keep the thing's attention on him and away from anyone who might be able to actually hurt it.

"Come on you overgrown gecko!"
"Is that your face, or does your butt have an acid attack?"
"I find your propensity toward accumulating monetary wealth through violent means of highly dubious sensibility!"
"You are so ugly that even Tiamat doesn't like you"
"Your skin will make a nice shield!"
"I've seen better hoards come from between sofa cushions."
"You call yourself a dragon? My cohort can fly better than that."
"You call that a breath weapon? Talk to an ogre in the morning, now that is a breath weapon!"
"Seriously, sharpen your claws. A blind farmer with a dull pitchfork could do more damage."

Lyra

Lyra crouches behind a large piece of rubble as close to midway between Donovan and Shaddup as she can manage, and takes out a sling.

Lyra calls out to Donovan as she places a large rock in the sling and starts to build up momentum.  "Based on the coloration and presence of acid glands, but lack of wings, I'd say that it is most probably a swamp dwelling subspecies of ... big lizard ... thing."

GM

As Donovan continues taunts the thing, it rears back and unleashes a gout of acidic spittle towards him. Donovan holds his mystically gauntleted hand up in front of his face, fingers outsplayed to deflect the worst of it away from his face and vitals.

When they see the lizard-thing turn its attention towards you, the other party heads back into the building, the ogre first, followed by the others. Last to enter, Teldicia waves and throws Donovan a coquettish smile and mouths "Good luck," before disappearing into the crumbling old building.

Gendry lunges at the thing's back, his gleaming blade entering between its ribs, through a lung, and out the front. The thing begins bleeding profusely, but collapses dead, choking on its own blood, long before it could bleed out.

Lyra tries to stop her sling and a rock goes flying wildly off into the distance.

Gendry

Gendry pulls out his sword and grins. "Think that's close enough to a dragon that I can get 'dragonslayer' engraved on the blade? 'Big Swamp Lizard Thing Slayer' just doesn't have the same ring to it..." He then turns and looks at the hole in the wall that the other group just darted into. "You're welcome!" he yells after them.

"Don, Lyra, what do you think the chances are that those guys just ran back into the building from which the big lizard monster that was kicking their asses came for some reason other than there being large amounts of loot inside?"

Shaddup

Shuddup retrieves his weapons from the priest and emerges from concealment. "Wait. If we're going in there we need to support the wall here and here." He searches for a moment for a log that doesn't appear to be to rotten, then pries loose a cobble stone. "Gendry, can you put one end of that beam in here and wedge the other end against the wall... Here." He pauses for a moment, "If we had a bell we could run it on a line so if the wall did start to give we could get some forwarning."

Lyra

Lyra rushes over to Donovan.  "Mr. Donovan, are you all right?  We might be able to use some of this limestone to counteract the acid, but without a proper heat source I'm not sure...."

She fusses over Donovan for a bit, checking his injuries before moving to examine the big swamp lizard thing.

"Mr. Gendry, 'Wyrmslayer' would typically be appropriate, since this is, or was a wingless variant.  Do you think Professor Aumry would be interested in it for research purposes?"

Donovan

Donovan slumps against the wall of a small shack and shakes the acid from his gauntleted hand as best he can. "I'm...fine..." He winces at the pain of where a small droplet touched his cheek. "Gendry, any chance that your god has some healing left for me?"

Gendry

Gendry wanders over and picks up Rant. "I have the scrolls Don, but that might be overkill." He hauls Rant over. "Brother Rant, would you be able to assist me in patching up me friend?"

GM

Brother Rant leans against the wall by Donovan. "I'll need clean water and something for bandages..."

Assuming the party has anything like those two items on hand, he carefully washes the acid-burns and wraps them up. "There's not much else I can do with these kind of wounds, but that should help a bit."

Donovan

Donovan stands up and looks at the dressing on his wounds, "That feels better, thanks."

He starts walking towards the hole and smiles. "Well, someone mentioned the probability of large piles of loot..."

Gendry

Gendry grabs the log indicated by Shaddup and sets it to brace the wall. "Here?"

He then picks up Brother Rast, piggy back, using one hand to steady him, the other holding his sword ready, and follows Donovan.

Shaddup

Shuddup, inspects the log and shoves against it as though he might move it once a minotaur has set it. With a satisfied nod of his head, "That looks good, this beam should support that stone to act as a keystone to hold the wall if anyone applies force from the other side. So now the question becomes do we foray into the ruins with two of our band on the mend or hazard a trip back to a friendly temple? Perhaps it would be wise for us to invest in some herbs and I can make us some home brew that would perk up our spirits... No orc pee, I promise."

Lyra

Lyra crouches next to the big lizard thing, and mixes a handful of dust from the crumbling limestone building with a pool of acidic drool near the head, stirring with a large splinter from a shattered wooden beam.  She mixes it carefully, then looks at the end of the wood and frowns.  "No, I don't think that is going to work."

She stands up and runs to catch up to Gendry.